Using the support of a Psychologist to improve your mental health
By the time they reach out for help most people have spent many weeks, months or even years valiantly trying to manage their problems by themselves. Their usual strategies for living are no longer enough to get by and they are ready for new solutions to their difficulties. This is where a Psychologist can help.
If you have found me on this page the chances are that you or someone you care about is feeling stuck or distressed. You might be wondering if I am the right person for you or if you even have a problem that’s worth getting help for.
The clients that I see in my practice are adults over 18 years who are usually experiencing issues with:
- Overwhelming stress
- Self-esteem and self-worth issues
- Grief and loss
- Relationship distress
- Lack of life direction
Here are some of the common things my psychology clients say when commencing therapy:
- I feel distressed and unhappy more often than I feel good
- My problems are significantly impacting my relationships, my ability to function day-to-day and my feelings about myself
- My thoughts are overwhelmingly negative about myself, my life and the people in it
- I have a brain that never stops thinking and analysing, especially when I try to sleep!
- My life feels out of control and I can’t seem to get on top of things
- I never seem to get around to doing things for myself because everything else keeps getting in the way
- I am stressed most of the time and have forgotten how to relax
- I’m not sure what direction I want to take my life in
- I find it hard to say ‘no’ to people or to stand up for what I need and I hold back from sharing my feelings or opinions for fear of being judged or rejected
- I frequently feel wounded, isolated or misunderstood by others
Can I assist?
I have been working in the mental health field for nearly 20 years and qualified as a Psychologist in 2005. I have had a private practice in Castle Hill since 2010. My style of counselling is calm, warm, collaborative and respectful. I am highly ethical and will never knowingly lead you astray. If I feel I am not the best person to help I will say so and assist you in finding another practitioner who is.
I have expertise in a number of therapeutic modalities which I use creatively to tailor a unique package according to what each of my client’s needs. These include CBT, ACT, Narrative, Interpersonal, Schema and Solution-Focused therapies. I work within an holistic framework and have a special interest in the impact of physical health and nutrition on mental and emotional wellbeing. Consequently, I may ask you about your diet, your lifestyle and any illnesses you have as part of my assessment of your needs. You can learn more about me here.
I understand that it can be a big decision to consult a Psychologist for matters of the head and heart and I want you to make the right choice for your needs. I invite you to browse my website to get a feel for who I am and what I have to offer. Feel free to contact me if there are any questions that you cannot find an answer to here or if you would like to make a booking.
Get in touch
Are you chronically stressed? If you are a human being living in a first world country right now, the chances are you are chronically stressed! Chronic stress refers to the experience of feeling emotionally pressured and overwhelmed over a prolonged period of time....read more
It is pretty rare these days to find a couple who have a continuously harmonious relationship. We know that divorce is common and research also tells us that even among those who remain married there is a great deal of dissatisfaction. I spent many years in my...read more
Somehow chronic stress has become acceptable in our modern cultures... ... and it's not good! I’m not referring to the periodic stress that energises and galvanizes us into action but rather that background hum of feeling constantly overwhelmed and fatigued by all...read more