Using the support of a Psychologist to improve your mental health
By the time they reach out for help most people have spent many weeks, months or even years valiantly trying to manage their problems by themselves. Their usual strategies for living are no longer enough to get by and they are ready for new solutions to their difficulties. This is where a Psychologist can help.
If you have found me on this page the chances are that you or someone you care about is feeling stuck or distressed. You might be wondering if I am the right Psychologist for you or if you even have a problem that’s worth getting help for.
The clients that I see in my Baulkham Hills practice are adults over 18 years who are usually experiencing issues with:
- Overwhelming stress
- Self-esteem and self-worth issues
- Grief and loss
- Relationship distress
- Lack of life direction
Here are some of the common things my psychology clients say when commencing therapy:
- I feel distressed and unhappy more often than I feel good
- My problems are significantly impacting my relationships, my ability to function day-to-day and my feelings about myself
- My thoughts are overwhelmingly negative about myself, my life and the people in it
- I have a brain that never stops thinking and analysing, especially when I try to sleep!
- My life feels out of control and I can’t seem to get on top of things
- I never seem to get around to doing things for myself because everything else keeps getting in the way
- I am stressed most of the time and have forgotten how to relax
- I’m not sure what direction I want to take my life in
- I find it hard to say ‘no’ to people or to stand up for what I need and I hold back from sharing my feelings or opinions for fear of being judged or rejected
- I frequently feel wounded, isolated or misunderstood by others
Can I assist?
I have been working in the mental health field for nearly 20 years and qualified as a Psychologist in 2005. I have had a private practice since 2010. My style of counselling is calm, warm, collaborative and respectful. I am a highly ethical Psychologist and will never knowingly lead you astray. If I feel I am not the best person to help I will say so and assist you in finding another practitioner who is. You can learn more about me here.
I have expertise in a number of therapeutic modalities which I use creatively to tailor a unique package according to what each of my client’s needs. These include CBT, ACT, Narrative, Interpersonal, Schema and Solution-Focused therapies. I work within an holistic framework and have a special interest in the impact of physical health and nutrition on mental and emotional wellbeing. Consequently, I may ask you about your diet, your lifestyle and any illnesses you have as part of my assessment of your needs.
I understand that it can be a big decision to consult a Psychologist for matters of the head and heart and I want you to make the right choice for your needs. I also appreciate that starting therapy can be a costly investment – both emotionally and financially. I invite you to browse my website to get a feel for who I am and what I have to offer. I believe in transparency and honesty upfront regarding fees so please go here for this information. Feel free to contact me if there are any questions that you cannot find an answer to here or if you would like to make a booking.
Get in touch
Mindfulness practices are emerging as an amazing antidote to the more negative effects of the way we currently live in modern societies. To be mindful is to be in the ‘now’ – not re-hashing things that have happened in the past or creating scenarios about the future....read more
More Joy, More Fun, More Pleasure? Why not!
Do you remember that tingly feeling you would experience as a child when you were anticipating something fun coming - like Christmas, holidays or birthdays? The bubbly ripple of excitement that you could almost feel vibrating through your body whenever you thought...read more
Live a Life Less Stressed – Part 1
Are you chronically stressed? If you are a human being living in a first world country right now, the chances are you are chronically stressed! Chronic stress refers to the experience of feeling emotionally pressured and overwhelmed over a prolonged period of time....read more